Although consumers in Virginia expect to be treated fairly, businesses often engage in all types of fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair practices. Fortunately, state and federal laws are designed to prevent businesses from defrauding consumers. When it comes to enforcing your rights, it helps to have a team of respected consumer protection attorneys in your corner.
Surovell Isaacs & Levy PLC has decades of experience advocating for consumers in Northern Virginia. Well-versed in applicable consumer protection laws, we have a proven track record of helping our clients resolve a wide range of disputes. If you need help fighting back against an auto lender, bank, credit card company or credit reporting bureau, we will explore all your options and work tirelessly to protect your rights.
Consumer Law Solutions Throughout Fairfax County, Arlington County, and Loudon County
Our legal team pursues and defends consumer claims such as:
- Homeowners association disputes — Although association members have certain rights under Virginia law, disputes are not uncommon, particularly when HOAs violate those rights. We represent property owners in all types of claims and also handle select cases on behalf of homeowner/condominium associations.
- Inaccurate credit reports — The three national credit reporting bureaus, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion, compile information detailing the creditworthiness of consumers. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), credit reporting agencies and entities that report credit information are required to ensure the accuracy, privacy, and fairness of that information. We are dedicated to protecting the rights of consumers and holding responsible parties accountable for FCRA violations.
- Abusive debt collection practices — Today, many individuals face insurmountable consumer debts. When these debts are referred to collection agencies, many consumers become victims of unlawful, abusive and harassing collection activities. Nonetheless, consumers have powerful legal recourse under the federal law, including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Truth-in-Lending Act (TILA).
- Warranty claims — Consumers expect the products they buy to meet certain standards of quality and performance. When defective products, such as new appliances or vehicles, are repeatedly brought in for repairs and a refund or replacement has not been provided by the seller or manufacturer, consumers are protected under federal law. We routinely pursue breach of warranty claims on behalf of clients under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
- Credit card billing mistakes — As many can attest, resolving an erroneous or unauthorized credit card charge can be daunting. Our experienced attorneys help credit card holders enforce their rights under state and federal laws such as the Fair Credit Billing Act and Electronic Funds Transfer Act.
- Payday and car title loans — Payday loans are small, short-term loans that must be repaid when a borrower receives his or her next paycheck. These loans typically carry exorbitant fees that make it difficult for borrowers to repay, forcing them to take additional loans, incur additional fees, and ensuring that they remain in debt. Similarly, car title loans often come with excessive interest rates that cause borrowers to default. We are committed to helping consumers fight back against such abusive lending practices.
- Insurance disputes — Individuals and businesses that obtain insurance reasonably expect insurers to pay the full value of their claims. Disputes over coverage, however, are not uncommon. We represent policyholders in coverage disputes and bad faith claims involving property and casualty insurance, general liability insurance, life insurance, automobile insurance and health insurance.
- Unfair evictions — Landlord/tenant disputes often arise over rental payments that may lead to an eviction action, a formal legal proceeding that a tenant has the right to contest. Our attorneys help tenants fight unfair evictions, particularly against landlords who fail to fulfill their obligations under an existing lease.
- Consumer fraud — Consumers can sustain harm from deceptive business practices that result in financial and other losses. We represent clients who have been victimized by all types of consumer scams, including identity theft, telemarketing scams, and income tax fraud.
- Inaccurate background checks — Employment background checks are a common practice in many businesses. When such inquiries are conducted without the consumer’s knowledge or contain errors that result in the loss of an employment opportunity, the FCRA provides powerful legal remedies.
Fairfax County & Loudoun County Consumer Protection Attorneys
At Surovell Isaacs & Levy PLC, we are keenly aware that consumers are at a significant disadvantage when dealing with businesses that engage in fraudulent, deceptive or unfair business practices. We leverage our legal knowledge and consumer protection experience to level the playing field. If you are involved in any type of consumer-related dispute or have sustained financial harm from an inaccurate credit report, we can help.
Our legal team will take the time to assess your situation, explore all your options, and determine whether you have a valid claim. Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to recover damages, including attorney’s fees and court costs. Above all, we are committed to protecting your rights as a consumer and holding businesses accountable for deceptive and unfair practices. Call our office today or complete the contact form on our website to set up a free consultation. We serve Northern Virginia including Alexandria, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Loudoun County, and Prince William County.