How to Protect Yourself from Wrong-Way Drivers

wrong way sign

When you are driving you often encounter many risky situations that cause you to make important decisions in the moment. However, few situations are more frightening than seeing another driver barreling at you while going the wrong way. Unfortunately, wrong-way drivers aren’t uncommon but often cause crashes that result in very serious injuries or sometimes fatalities. 

One of the scariest aspects about encountering a wrong-way driver is that you can’t do anything to prevent it from happening. However, you can act proactively so as to defend yourself against the situation. 

Wrong-Way Drivers Often Under the Influence 

Although not all wrong-way drivers are driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, approximately 58% of drivers are. Of the other 42% of drivers, they often go the wrong way due to rushing, distractions, and confusing the exit of a road with the entrance. When police officers see someone driving the wrong way they will of course attempt to stop them. Unfortunately, they aren’t always successful. Ultimately 300 to 400 people are killed each year in the U.S. in wrong-way accidents. 

Tips for Defending Yourself

As mentioned, while you can’t prevent other drivers from going the wrong way, you can be proactive by following these tips for defending yourself:

Drive in the Right Lane

  • When you aren’t passing someone else it’s best to remain in the right lane. This is helpful because although wrong-way drivers believe that they are in the right lane as well, they are actually in the left lane but going the wrong way. 

Pay Attention

  • Pay attention to your surroundings at all times. This includes those drivers who are far ahead of you. The more time that you have to react to something, the better your chances of protecting yourself. 

Call 9-1-1

  • If you see someone driving the wrong way down a street or highway, it’s imperative that you dial 9-1-1 right away. By letting the operator know the make and model, the location, and the direction of the vehicle, you can help to save lives. 

Although you can’t prevent others from driving the wrong way, you can follow these tips to give yourself the best defense against them. It’s also important that you pay close attention at all times when driving so that you don’t become the cause of such an accident. 

Surovell Isaacs & Levy PLC Can Help Those in VA Who Have Been Injured in a Car Accident

If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, it can have a big impact, affecting just about all aspects of your life. That’s why when you are dealing with the physical, emotional, and financial impact of an accident, you shouldn’t have to deal with it on your own. It’s in your best interest to speak with a qualified personal injury attorney at Surovell Isaacs & Levy PLC. We will work hard to help you obtain the compensation that you deserve. To learn more or to schedule a consultation, contact us today!


Posted in: Car Accident